View Single Post

Old 03-25-2015, 10:38 AM
Sage

I was under the impression that your tips must bring your compensation up to $8/hour otherwise your employer must make up the difference. In other words, even if you received no tips during the day you would still make $8/hour regardless of the fact that 4% of your total sales needs to be paid to bussers and bartenders. Isn't that 4% going to be paid regardless of whether you have any tips and you are still guaranteed no less than $8/hour? Based on your post, it sounded like you could actually lose money (i.e. make less than $5/hour) because your tips didn't cover the 4% that is paid to the bussers and bartenders. I am just trying to understand how the law and restaurants operate.

Also, are you better off if we tip in cash instead of putting the tip on a credit card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeleh View Post
Not only do servers here make $5/hr....We also have to tip 4% of our TOTAL sales to the bussers and bartenders. So if you tip less than 4% (and some do) it costs us money to wait on you! Ex: If my total sales are $500, I have to give $10 to the bartender and $10 to the bussers.....