View Single Post

Old 03-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Anytime you have a concern with anything that involves a video, or even how to operate a product, repair a product or see a product review, go to YouTube and search for the item. Just last week I saved myself $150 by repairing my own refrigerator by watching a video posted youtube.com.

If you're concerned about videos shot from quadcopters (drones), go to youtube.com and search and see what videos are being posted. I own a Syma X5C-1, a very inexpensive quadcopter that comes with a camera. I just did a search on YouTube for a Syma X5C-1 video, and what you'll come up with is a bunch of innocent looking aerial videos from a park, a ball field, the beach, a neighborhood, etc. Here, check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhNJWDYi82k

The Villages Florida

As far as getting in close proximity to a aircraft, keep in mine that you'll need to keep these aircraft in sight. Flying higher than a 100' this 12" white diameter quad will start to disappear. If it loses the signal, the quad will keep going on it's last command, which may take it very far away. I don't see any problem with these getting anywhere near a civil aircraft unless you right next to the airport. Even in that situation, it would probably be nothing more than a bird strike.
Bird strikes kill pilots and take down aircraft. Please do the calculation of the forces hitting one of the 2 to 5 pound aircraft at 120mph. There is a video of a drone pilot taking the aircraft up to 3500 feet through a cloud layer. There could be a pilot on an IFR flight flying through those clouds.