View Single Post

Old 03-31-2015, 07:13 AM

We use the same mowing company as many of our neighbors. That seems to work. It is obviously more efficient for the mowers to be unloaded once to go from yard to yard to yard. Time is money and the mowing companies should try to keep a street -- or most of a street -- happy. Talk to your neighbors. Especially neighbors who live here all year because they will know how it goes in all seasons.

We use Dean's for fertilizing and treating the yard and for the bug stuff. We have found Dean's to be responsive and professional.

Weeds? It is not easy to find a company to do that. Again, time is money.

So I went to Home Depot. Bought a big bottle of ready-to-use Roundup with a wand attached to the side. I patrol the landscape beds and stop the weeds and invading grass before they get much of a start.

I also bought a big container of Preen with a sprinkle-top. I hit the landscape rocks with that. Preen is a pre-emergent. It won't kill weeds but it prevents some of them. Sometimes I catch weeds growing on those rocks. I guess it takes only a touch of dirt for them to start.

We also bought a battery-operated trimmer and take care of the shrubs. We cut one in half a couple of weeks ago and it is coming back beautifully.

So this is what we do. But our yard is the size of a postage stamp. We like it like that. Had our share of acreage.

I quickly figured out that fending off those weeds was going to be up to me. It is too hard to find somebody for weeds. (Besides, doing it myself takes less time than being aggravated.)

Cuts-to-the-Chase Laurie