Thread: The Sharon
View Single Post

Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
If attendance is lower for the philharmonic, it's probably because of the Savannah center tacky chairs, creaky risers and plumbing pipe hand rails. It doesn't reflect the calibre of the orchestra.

Using Savannah as a temporary venue during construction at Church on the Square is understandable, but not now when The Sharon is open and operational.

They deserve to be in The Sharon. Many patrons would come because of the superb quality built into The Sharon, that will inspire the orchestra and its players' spirits.
If that were true, how would explain all of the sold out shows at Savannah over the past year? I don't think that the venue is that big of a deal for most people. Yes, it is nice to go an see someone in a beautiful state of the art theater, but fans of a particular entertainer will go to see them anywhere.

The Beatles played at the old, run down, dirty, rickety Boston Garden in 1964. That didn't stop them from being a sell out. When they returned to Boston in 1966 they played at a horse racing track. Do you think that any of the fans cared about the venue?

I've never had the good fortune to see The Villages Philharmonic, but I would say that it's more a lack of interest in classical music than plumbing pipe handrails that accounts for their small audience numbers.

No one worried about the "tacky chairs, creaky risers and plumbing pipe hand rails" when Willie Nelson sold it out at $125 per ticket.

This is in no means meant to disparage TV Philharmonic. I'm just saying that when people are interested in something a beat up old venue is not going to deter them and a nice shiny new state of the art facility is not going to draw them in.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.