View Single Post

Old 02-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Our Childhood in Black and White...

Don't forget that almost everyone had the right to swat us kids if we misbehaved. No need to wait for Mom to do it (of course, she'd do it, too, as soon as the swatter told her what we were up to.

Now a true story: Was living in Kentucky, about age 10, had to take the school bus. I was notorious for missing the bus home. It was about a 5-mile walk but someone would usually stop and give me a ride home. My mother put out the word that I needed to learn a lesson. So, here I was walking home from school, carrying a French horn and my books (and no backpacks back then). Our next-door neighbor stopped, I opened the door to jump in, she said no, just give me the horn so you don't damage the case and, then, "Happy walking!" Oh, did I mention it was winter and cold and there was snow on the ground and since I was a girl, I couldn't wear pants. Guess who never missed the bus home again?

Wonder how the scenario on this would play out today: First, the bus would have to wait for me -- too dangerous to walk home alone. Second, if I did have to walk, no one would stop to give me a ride for fear of being accused of child molestation. I'd still be late and expect the world to wait for me. Definitely think the old way was better!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein