View Single Post

Old 04-02-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
I just paid my Direct TV bill this morning. I pay $105. for the "bag lady" package. I also have a Netflix account. I'm not really much into watching sports but I am a news junkie. How do you think your set-up would fit me. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Paper1 - I guess it depends on what your main source of news is on TV. If it is local channels sourced news then no problem. I have seen many on TOTV that live in TV that get their local stations over the air. If it is cable news, then depending on your political persuasions you may not get what you are looking for with SlingTV as they only have CNN on the basic package and Bloomberg on the news package along with some other international news choices. But no Fox or MSNBC news channels as of yet.

TabloTV for your "Whole House" DVR will absolutely work for $4.99/mo. (You will need a USB external Hard Drive to plug into it though)

So let's see, maybe $100-$200 for a quality antenna/installation. $200-$300 for a TabloTV 2 or 4 tuner + USB External HD for another $100. You're looking at $400-$600 in upfront costs. Bottom line if you go with the most expensive of devices, you should break even in 6 months.

Cutting the cord is NOT for everyone, but if paying over $100/mo. for TV boils your blood like it did mine, then it is a very gratifying little project.

Best of luck, let us all know how you make out if you decide to move forward.