View Single Post

Old 04-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Platinum member

I'm glad that so many think this is a problem, like me. I'm also glad that so many have suggestions and thoughts on how to solve the problem. It seems to me that taking away the chairs, though it would make the problem go away, does not really solve the problem. It simply creates another set of problems. I'm not in favor of punishing the many because of a problem created by a selfish and inconsiderate few who deem themselves privileged.
The way to solve this problem is to enforce the rule that is already in place. (1) Put up "no saving" related signs at each venue. (2) Announce "no saving" at each venue each night. (3) And most importantly, have the applicable sheriff's department there at each venue to enforce the rule.

I'm not opposed to the demonstration against the selfish that is proposed by the OP, and in fact it may ultimately take that to get enough attention to the issue, but I'm pretty sure that somewhere during these confrontations Bubba or Mr. Hothead Villager, whether alcohol fueled or just aggressive by nature, is going to punch, push or otherwise physically assault someone and people will get hurt. Our community will be publicly embarrassed, and the public impression of our community will be tarnished. When they do it is primarily the fault of the SELFISH SAVERS, but it is also a liability for the Villages Entertainment and the sheriff's office. A court will see it that way when a jury awards damages. They can't claim that they didn't know this problem exists.

Seriously, if there are circumstances brewing where there might be some sort of dangerous physical confrontation, isn't it the responsibility of the sheriff's office to anticipate that, recognize it for what it is, and provide law enforcement personnel to see that it doesn't get out of hand? OK, I get it that this isn't exactly a terrorist attack we are talking about here, but it doesn't have to be. Eventually someone is going to get hurt because of this problem, and those who are responsible for controlling it, but are choosing to ignore it, will be held liable. I'm sure trial lawyers will swarm over this like sharks to blood in the water.

The nightly entertainment that we enjoy is a tremendous benefit for many who call this community home, and for that I express my sincere and heartfelt thanks to The Villages Entertainment Division, and to the merchants in the various squares. But it currently has a problem that needs to be fixed, and soon.