Thread: The Sharon
View Single Post

Old 04-03-2015, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
And I'd rather never see any tribute band. There are too many good performers that are original. Leave the Oldies to the squares, please.
We all have our tastes, but the Fab Four and many other tribute bands sell out venues of this size. That's my point. That's what we're going to get. If they do intend to bring in top of the line acts, ticket prices are going to have to be astronomical.

Tirbute band like the Fab Four ticket prices usually run $25-$40. That's between $25,000 and $40,000 total revenue. To get even a national touring tribute band like the Fab Four is going to cost somewhere around $25,000 once you pay for their travel, room and board. Many of them also require that you provide a back line of equipment etc along with whatever els may be on their rider.

To bring in someone like James Taylor, Eric Clapton or someone at that level, it will cost a hundred thousand or more. Just do the math. The venue is too small to bring in top of the line entertainment and make it affordable. Tickets would have to be priced at at least $100 and that wouldn't cover the expenses of the venue.

And nothing against Lucinda Williams or any of the other artists mentioned, but she is playing in 1,000 seat venues because that's all she can draw. She just can't get 5,000 people to cough up $50 to come and see her.

The good thing about The Villages is that most of the acts that people in our age group are interested in are the old washed up stars of our youth. You can usually book many these kind of acts for not too much money. But you're not going to get Clapton, Paul McCartney, James Taylor, the Rolling Stones or The
Who in a 1,000 seat venue.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.