Thread: Decorating
View Single Post

Old 04-04-2015, 07:13 PM

Give yourself a chance. Take your time. Have some fun.

What colors make you most comfortable in a room?

Do you like rooms that are traditional? Casual? Contemporary? Eclectic?

What kind of floors do you want? In what rooms?

What kind of window treatments? -- Lately, I am all about plantation shutters. Never thought about having them in Ohio. Really like having them in Florida.

Look for accessories that speak to and of you.

And especially keep your eyes open for things you would like to hang on your walls. I have found things everywhere from art festivals to Goodwill. In fact, I unearthed two of my favorite pictures at Goodwill. One cost 4 dollars. The other 10 dollars. -- But then I splurged a little on matting and framing because I liked those finds so much. I even got the kind of glass that will protect them from fading from the light. -- But I also found a perfect frame at Michael's for a photograph I bought at a show here in TV. Things for your walls do not have to be expensive. Look for things that are not like what everybody else has. This is your house. Let it reflect you. (If you already have some pictures and accessories you really love, pack them and bring them along.)

If you really want to be overwhelmed with ideas, there are two websites that will do that. One is art.com and the other is houzz.com

And if you do some of the things suggested here in this thread, but still end up with a decorator, you will find you have more confidence in your choices and in your communication with her.

Have a good time.

Last edited by Laurie2; 04-04-2015 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Typo