View Single Post

Old 04-05-2015, 03:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
While I was visiting in Lancaster, PA last year with my dogs I went to a very interesting dog park. They had artificial turf instead of grass. At first I thought it was weird and not a great idea, but then after talking to some of the regulars there they explained that it never gets hot, is easy to scoop the poop off of it, cleans itself after a rain, never gets muddy or stays soggy for long and is a truly wonderful surface for dogs. The city found that in the long run it's a money saver because of maintenance issues (never needs cutting, etc). I have never encountered that before but we liked it and it wasn't slippery and slick as I feared for my super fast hounds. I wonder why no other parks have considered this. It would take care of areas that have a mud problem like one of our dog parks here has.
We had turf in our back yard in Vegas and it was wonderful! Even when it was 115 degrees in the sun, it wasn't hot.
It held up well even when our dogs played rough and two of our dogs were large and played hard (see my avatar photo).

There is a playground in the West Palm Beach area that also has turf.
There are all kinds of things for kids to play on and the park is loaded with kids which gives the turf a tough workout.
The turf has held up unbelievably well and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between grass and turf when you look at it.
There is no reason not to have trees.

I have previously passed on the recommendation for using turf and having trees.