Thread: Dead Bolts
View Single Post

Old 04-06-2015, 07:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I am more concerned with a good deadbolt for when we are not there. I don't think I could install something with a 3 inch screw or a really deep long deadbolt as there is no stud because of the side lights. The deadbolt down by the floor that I had in two of my store locations worked just like the deadbolts that are in the middle of the door. Key from the outside turnbuckle from the inside but it went through the threshold into the slab so couldn't be kicked out. I was thinking that because it was low on the door they couldn't reach it if they broke the glass either.
we have a sidelight also so we couldn't use the 6 inch screws that came with the product. We bought additional screws I think they were 3 inches, maybe only 2.5. But better than the 1 inch that came with the house.

When you open your door, and look where the deadbolt actually enters the door frame, you will see you have more inches than you think. We did anyway.
I do think that putting a deadbolt down low, with the same screws as the one higher is not going to make a difference, but you never know.