View Single Post

Old 04-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I cross the bridge all the time. It's no problem. Like almost all of the cart paths here it is too narrow so like when driving on all of the other cart paths, you need to be paying attention.

I agree that golf carts should be allowed to cross at the lights like they do further north.

I live almost directly across from the CVS at Avenida Central. I go to that CVS and Target quite frequently. In order to go to CVS which is less than a half mile from my house, I have to drive my cart a bit over a mile to get to the bridge and then a mile back to get to the CVS. It's absurd that something can't be constructed that enables us to cross at Griffin Road. We can drive to the Circle K but cannot go out onto Griffin. We'd only need a short, (less than 50 yds) access from the Circle K to the crosswalk to be able to cross like, as has been noted, pedestrians, bicycles and handicap carts.

I have no doubt that the developer will pay for any repairs or upkeep of the bridge. It is a major landmark and advertising tool for them. I doubt that they would ever want to see it go away. Although a tunnel, or multiple tunnels would make a lot more sense.

Some work was done to the bridge recently. It was painted and I think that there was some repair done to the road bed. I would think whoever paid for that work will be the same ones that will pay for a major overhaul.

Whoever it is will be doing it in their own best interest. If it's the businesses then they will not want to see the business from the historic district go away. If it's the developer, they will not want to see that happen either. In any event, it is in their interest to see that those of us on this side have a way to get to the other side by golf cart. That's the way most good things happen. Just follow the money.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.