View Single Post

Old 04-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with a church having contemporary music/format at services separate from the traditional ones.

I was raised on the beautiful traditional hymns with massive pipe organ and great singing participation from the congregation, but many of today's contemporary singers/players make the music soar and stir the spirit of people in attendance, too. I like both styles and often they are mixed in "blended" services.

If people are attending and learning to know Christ and grow their faith in Him with more current music (that usually has scripture-based lyrics) and biblical teaching, isn't the goal of worship and teaching being accomplished?
A lot of times when a church has both a traditional and a modern service, it means it's a rather large church membership-wise. I prefer a smaller church with one, two at the most pastor(s) that if I like, I am guaranteed being able to listen to on a weekly basis. It also is easier to participate in the good works of the church. I know of one protestant church that is so large that you practically have to win a lottery to get a spot serving or singing or playing bells, etc. And then there are the politics involved, which are more strident in a larger church.

As far as the music goes, everyone has his own preference as to what lifts one up emotionally. I see no reason not to seek out what connects with you. There's enough around for everyone. I don't think God takes it personally if I dislike intensely guitar music or bands in a church service. Tried it/don't like it.