View Single Post

Old 04-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
One interesting note: Although I called 2 security companies for pricing and what would be included, BOTH companies told me that even though I had a cat I could still have a motion detector because cats are small enough that it won't go off. Well, when the installer showed up, he noticed my cat tree and the first thing he said was "do you have a cat"? I said yes, but they told me it was not a problem. He said they are wrong because the problem with cats is... they climb up on stuff and then they are in the range of the motion detector. He said having a 50lb dog would be better than having a 10lb cat for that reason. Makes sense, that's what I had been thinking all along anyway, but figured they knew what they were talking about since more than one company said the same thing. So he did not install a motion detector for me, but also did not take anything off the cost either. I don't know why they can't give you correct information from the beginning. Why doesn't the installer talk to the sales reps or vice versa. It's very frustrating.
I will offer this suggestion, locate the motion sensor such that it will be able to detect people, but not be as sensitive to cats. I have seen several of these advertised as "pet friendly". For example directly over the door or other opening does not typically offer an location where a cat would be able to climb and trip the sensor.
Hope this helps.