View Single Post

Old 02-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: GOOD BOOKS TO READ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
Re. the Pullman trilogy: I have not read them because that's not my genre, but I think The Amber Spyglass, which is the third in the trilogy, is the one that really got people upset.

I know there are probably issues that could be found - with anything - but fans of fantasy fiction are just looking for a good story to follow up their main man Tolkien.

And fans of fantasy fiction are often really fast readers who will read straight through an author in record time. They seem to love the detail and the web of the genre.

I have a little theory on fantasy fiction that I have tested over the years by just talking to people who like it. Fantasy fiction often seems to be the genre of choice for those who are mathematically inclined. - engineers, etc.

I have to mention here a book that I bought last night. (Mr. BB and I need to stay away from Borders or we will never be able to afford a house in TV.) Anyway, the book is called House Lust by Daniel McGinn. It has a 2008 copyright and addresses the psychology of what we go through with our real estate. I have not started it yet so I don't know if I can recommend it or not. But it looks good to me.
I will have to read The Amber Spyglass at some point. Have to get through the first two in the His Dark Materials series first though.

I am more of a mystery/suspense/horror fan than one of fantasy and science fiction at least in books.

Look into joining Barnes & Noble with a Membership when you get here. Think its $25 a year but you get coupons every month or so for 20 to 25% off of various items as well as weekly coupons for substantial savings off of selected usually best selling items. You also get quite a lot off of a lot of stuff as a Barnes & Noble Member. You get 40% as a member off of current hardback bestsellers.

You can then combine the monthly coupon with the Member's discount. Quite a savings.

There's a Barnes & Noble at Lake Sumter Landing in TV.