View Single Post

Old 02-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Eternal Member
Default re: What is your favorite restaurant in the whole world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac
Trying to find out what Schnell Imbiss was and netted this picture of a hamburger. That's huge. http://www.essenundtrinken-web.de/
A schnell imbiss, or more commonly called just an imbiss, is a fast food joint in Germany. :hot: Some are in well-constructed buildings, but most are just shacks or even carts. It translates literally as "fast snack." They all serve wurst, the type depending on where you are in Germany. Some specialize in schnitzel, shashlick, or rotisserie chicken (Haenchen). And all come with broetchen, the most heavenly bun/roll imaginable. :2cool: And great senf (mustard). When I was there, the dollar was pretty strong (compared to now) and you could get a tremendous lunch for 2 -3 bucks. A halbes (half) haenchen, while the smallest chicken I'd ever seen, was about DM3, or $1.50 to $2.00. 040

These places could never exist in the US. The health department would have a fit, and very possibly, maybe, if you looked very carefully, this might not have been the most healthful food in the world. But damn it was good.

Unfortunately, it appears that many of these establishments are being replaced by generic McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, and asian and middle eastern fast food places. :yikes: C'est la vie.

And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e