Thread: ripped off
View Single Post

Old 04-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Veteran member
Default Not in prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
I don't know a single person here who 'lives like a prisoner in a fortress' here in TV. This is the kind of stereotyping and labeling of TV that is so far out of bounds and gives a totally distorted picture of crime here. Yes, there is crime, but it is statistically very low compared to other cities and suburbs of this size.

But I DO know wise people like ourselves who have a monitored alarm system, and a nice affordable one to start with is Simply Safe.

Too many older Villagers sneer at the idea of having an alarm system, but the whole idea is that when that alarm goes off with sirens blaring, it keeps the intruder OUT of the house and sends him/her running and the police are called within a minute once they talk to you on the monitoring call. Do you really want that intruder in your house and personal space like in your bedroom? Keep them OUT with sirens etc. going off.

The other thing that bugs me is the worry about possessions. We all have insurance on possessions, but we don't have enough insurance for our bodies and minds if we are attacked/assaulted physically and with firearms/knives. Get the alarm system and use it!
I do not feel that I live like a prisoner at all. I feel that we take precautions to keep ourselves and our possessions safe. There is a great feeling of security knowing we have done the best we can to keep the bad guys out. Trust me, if you ever have an intruder in your courtyard, or have prized possessions stolen, you will realize that this isn't something that only happens to others. That particular theft did not happen in The Villages but there have been many instances similar to this reported here.
I was stupid to leave my jewelry in plain sight. I was trusting that no one would violate me. I was wrong.