View Single Post

Old 04-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd2918 View Post
Hi all!

This is my first post. I am researching retirement communities with my wife. In 8 long years I will retire and my wife will keep working from her home office.
We visited last week and I'd like to share with you my (and my wife's) first impressions of your community:
Wow are your streets clean. We knew exactly when we were outside and inside "the bubble" due to the cleanliness. It is clear you and the management take great care in how the streets look.
I love the golf cars. I'm a kid at heart and love the idea of getting around in carts. I might need to learn how to golf.
The lot sizes seem a little small, and your money does not buy much house. We are looking to downsize, but we were a little surprised how far our money won't go. For a used $175K 1200 foot house we were expecting better surfaces and updates.
We ate in Sumter Square and found the restaurants were expensive for what we got. I know this is a planned community, but why can't there be more reasonably priced places to eat? It would be wonderful if there were non-chain restaurants.
Lisa and I were blown away by all the things to do! It is hard to imagine being bored with all the clubs and activities. This place completely fits our requirement for activity.
How do my impressions stack up with your reality?

Brad
Your impressions are spot on for the most part.
1. Call off your search as you will never find a retirement community better than TV. It's not perfect but darn close!!!
The myriad of activities and it's friendly people will help you to live longer.
2. It is kept pristine and you don't have to shovel sunshine!!!
3. Golf carts are a very nice way to get around this community with over 90/100 miles of golf cart trails!
4. You may get more house for your money with surrounding communities but you will not have the lifestyle, TV offers. You probably won't spend much time in your home anyway, if you want to be active!
5. Costs are reasonable for feeling like your living like a millionaire. It's all depends on what part of the country one comes from. Taxes are so much less than most places.
6. You won't have any or many gourmet dinning experiences but the food is acceptable and if one wants great food, one needs to cook at home to their own standards. Some places are more reasonable than others.
7. If one is bored in TV, it's their own fault as you won't find another place with as many activities as TV.

Keep in mind as you get older and prefer a really big house, you won't jump out of bed and say, "boy, I am looking forward to cleaning this big house again!!! I know I don't.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).