Thread: Comfort Food
View Single Post

Old 02-11-2008, 03:17 AM
Eternal Member
Default Comfort Food

I was looking at the grocery ads last week and noticed that Bay Watch has stew meat on sale. Ever since, I've had a real craving for some beef stew. As everyone knows, however, stew is a winter meal, best served when there's frost on the pumpkin and a chill in the air. Unfortunately, while our brethren to the north have been getting somewhat appropriate weather, we've had to suffer through all these days in the 70's and even 80's. Where's the justice?

Finally I couldn't take it and had to make a batch of bachelor stew. Forget the outside temps. I bought a couple lbs of great looking stew beef and the other fixin's and started cooking today. To get in the mood, I turned on the air conditioner as low as possible. I was going to spray my windows with that old fashioned fake frost we used to use at Xmas. Unfortunately, I had none of it nor could find it at any of the stores. I didn't want to use spray paint, so I tried spraying the windows with shaving cream. Not bad.

I figure the stew has about another 4 hours of cooking, so my first taste should be about 2:00 AM. Temps should be pretty low by then, if the AC holds out. And since it's impossible to make a small batch of stew, and it always tastes better reheated, I'll have real comfort food for about a week.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e