View Single Post

Old 02-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Sage
Default Re: Need info before moving to the Villages

Shaddy,

I am another DC area ex-pat....you will find the cost of most everything down here much more reasonable than the DC area. Less gas 'cause you use the golf cart for everything, utilities (4-5 months a year with no heat or A/C), insurance, cost of home, no state income tax, CLEAN air (code Green all the time), less congestion and easier pace of life, and on and on. Property taxe rates seem to be a little steeper but the cost of a comparable home is much less so you come out ahead on that too.

Alas, Mr Muncle is correct...no Trader Joes. I have a friend who makes a trip back to DC from TV every couple of months. I give him my shopping list of non perishables and he resupplies my TJ needs.

One potential negative for a DC refugee might be the availability and quality of medical care. It seems to me that TV is still growing faster than the supply of doctors can keep up with. Just have to perhaps wait longer to get non-emergency appts.

All in all, tiz a great way to live and as a previously lifelong MD/DC area resident, I don't miss it one bit.