Thread: Apple Watch
View Single Post

Old 05-09-2015, 05:24 AM
Veteran member

I've had my sports watch for almost 2 weeks now. You're right in that it's handiest feature is the ability to know that you're receiving a phone call or a text without pulling out your phone. If you're in the middle of something you can then decide what and when you need to do about it. I've turned off sounds on incoming notifications so I just receive a subtle (but noticeable) tapping on my wrist to tell me there's an incoming communication.

Battery life is very good. I'm able to make it through an entire day, although turning on the exercise app for a couple of hours will chew through the battery and leave it at about 10% by the end of the day. I've turned off the feature that automatically turns on the display when you raise your wrist to improve the battery life. I find it just as easy to turn on the display when I want with a single tap to the watch face.

Making and receiving phone calls on the watch is somewhat limited because of the speaker size and microphone. With my poorer hearing, I find it difficult to understand incoming calls so far, so I don't use it for this. Sending text messages however is pretty easy, using the microphone to convert speech to text (since there isn't a keyboard.)

All in all, I'd have to say it's a pretty "techie" device. I'm glad my spouse decided against getting one...don't think they would have found it useful enough to justify the expense. But I think it has great potential. After all, look how far the iPhones have come from the original model in 2007.