View Single Post

Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: invisible fences for dogs

I don't believe that canines can be left to roam in the yard. They are to be on a leash. I'm just referencing Talk Host "Jan". In previous posts he said that they aren't allowed to walk freely. You might be walking past a home and not know that the man eating Yorkshire in a neighbors front yard knows not to leave his yard or be zapped. Rules are rules. Verify them if you wish.

Although not yet in TV we too have an invisible fence for our dog in our northern home. I trained a 9 year old and a 3 month old pup. Actually the pup caught on quicker than the elder. I purchased a Pet Safe Deluxe unit (Lowes) and installed it myself. Matter of fact I just helped my neighbor here in the north install one for his 2 Basset Hounds. Since my initial installation 4 other neighbors have installed the system in their yards too. The dogs catch on quickly. As for being harmful (SPCA approval) I know the Humane Society is a huge supporter for this device. I removed the dogs collar, because I was taking her to the vet, and walked across the street to our mail box, while holding the collar prongs (senior moment), and got zapped. It's no more than static shock similar to sliding your feet on the carpet. Yes it startled me.

Personally I'm very happy with the results and so is Sadie Mae our high strung zero to wide open in 2 seconds or less Irish Setter. Too bad I'm not there because I'd been more than happy to help you install it. Just remember when burying the wire that it needs to be just below the grass. Also remember NOT to airate your yard for fear of damaging the wire. My neighbor did this twice to me prompting me to plant bushes.

Also the only sound that's emitted may be a solid tone when there's a break in the wire or the battery on the dogs collar is weak. That comes from the power unit and not the dogs collar. The only sound from the collar is a very slight ticking noising that speeds up faster as the dog approached the boundry wire.

I hope this helps in your decision. If it's any consolation I put out 1100 ft of wire and the the only reason the unit stopped working was from humans not the animal. And there's no need to remove the fence. There's no visible barrier anyway. Thus the terminolgy Invisible Fence.

F16

The Villages Florida