View Single Post

Old 02-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Default Re: A Question for Catholics

Please excuse this Episcopalian, but we've had the same problem at St. Timothy's in Indianapolis. Individuals wanted to sneak out to the fellowship hall and the coffee bar as soon as they had received communion. Father Ed, now Bishop Ed in Michigan, put a stop to the early exits with some rather stern words. No one was to leave before the recessional. He also insisted that the worshipers be quiet before the processional began. He wasn't afraid to use a little discipline to maintain order before and after the service. In Indianapolis, no one would want to cut out early at Christ Church Cathedral. The two pipe organs, the choir, and the recessional hymn are much too wonderful to miss.

I've been attending a Lutheran church out in the suburbs where I teach. (I'm kind of hiding out from the battle going on within the Episcopal Church at the moment.) I'm amazed at how chatty Lutherans are before the service begins. Of course, suburban churches seem to be less formal and it's nice to be with friendly individuals but it's not very conducive to quiet meditation.

I'm coming down to check out TV in late March and I'm looking forward to attending the local Episcopal Church. Does any one know much about it?

I'm retiring (after 36 years of teaching high school government and history) and giving TV some serious consideration. I really enjoy church history as well as comparative religion and related topics. Does anyone else have similar interests?
Don Hanlin, widower &amp; soon-to-be retired teacher<br />Thinking about moving to The Villages.&nbsp; Major interests include politics &amp; reading about history &amp; current events.&nbsp; Looking for chance to write &amp; travel while participating in lots of activities.&nbsp; Also want to be involved w/ Episcopal Church.