View Single Post

Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 AM
Default Re: Heels to Die For

Okay ladies: I didn't even finish reading to the last post. Had to stop and post this little tid bit. Since I am a nurse . . . and since I have had PLANTAR FASCIITIS, that is "inflammation of the fascia, I can chime in here. First, the fascia goes from the heel all the way to the ball of your foot. If, for any reason, that becomes inflammed, here's what you do. (This fascia is attached to your heel and ball of your foot like a piece of chicken skin to a chicken thigh, if you get my drift.

1. Wear small heels, not flat shoes. Lifting up your heels takes the pressure off and allows the fascia to stretch with each step.
2. ICE, ICE, ICE !! And when you are done, STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH.
3. Take Aleve, 2 tabs at breakfast and dinner (must be with food) for at least 2 weeks. This will help reduce the inflammation so the stretches are less painful.
4. When, and you know this happens to you, you get out of bed at night or first thing in the morning, DO NOT LET YOUR FEET TOUCH THE FLOOR before you point and flex, point and flex, do leg lifts (little ones) and leg bends in bed to get the circulation going to your feet. Otherwise, you will be hobbling all the way to the bathroom in terrible pain.
5. If you really have pain in the a.m. when you awake, you may need to see an orthopedic and get a night splint for your foot. When we sleep, the foot collapses (stretches forward) and causes pain. A splint keeps your foot flexed so this is prevented. I needed a splint and wore it for 6 mths. My PF occurred during nursing school when I was a student AND worked f/t and cared for 4 kids, a house, a husband, a life. On my feet too much.

So, Red, heels (small ones that lift your heel just a bit) are therapeutic for heel pain sufferers.

Hope this helps someone.