View Single Post

Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Default Re: Heels to Die For

CIB, I love Birk's also. Sometimes they bother my feet if I wear them too long cuz of the flatness. I do need little heel once in a while.

Nonie: Think heel spurs are different in that the fascia isn't affected as badly. You have a "spur", a little growth of bone projecting off the calcaneous (heel bone). I thought that's what I had back then. They are formed from friction, like a callous, only bone juts out, little knob-like projections. Gross. BUT, far as I know, the treatment is the same as if you had PF. Cortisone should help but many times only briefly. Exercise to stretch the fascia around the heel spur, ice to decrease inflammation, Aleve is like a miracle drug for these two conditions, and stretch like crazy to get the blood circulating in that area. Stop during the day and stretch, stretch in the grocery line, while riding in the car, while swimming - always point and flex, rotate ankle, it's the best. I bet if you do these things consistently for a few weeks, you will be out of pain totally. Then, just continue the stretching of your foot/calf muscles throughout the day. Another great stretch is to assume a wide stance, about 12 inches from a wall, then lean into the wall, keeping both feet flat on the floor. Hurts at first. Also, bend down and reach your toe, opposite knee bent, toe pointing up to ceiling, heel on floor. That'll get ya screaming at first. Hope that helps.