View Single Post

Old 06-27-2015, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

The oak trees you see on the golf courses and out in the fields are standard live oak trees and grow tall and very wide, as we all know. There are other live oak trees that have been cloned from smaller oaks that were found in the wild that grow smaller or narrower. One clone type is called "Cathedral Oak" and this forms a smaller rounded oak tree. I believe some of these Cathedral Oaks are planted on Buena Vista Blvd. and up at some of the shopping centers around Spanish Springs. Another variety that is getting more play south of 466A is the 'Highrise Oak." This grows very narrow, like a pin oak. I believe these are planted around the Pinellas shopping center as well as in many of the the yards landscaped by The Villages. One of these Highrise Oaks is planted right across the street from my house. These tees will never get as large as a standard oak tree. They may be an option for places where you need smaller trees such as in residential yards and shopping centers. There is a nursery west of Gainesville that sells these two clone varieties of live oaks. They have row after row of them.