View Single Post

Old 02-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Link for victims of crimes looking for information about area resources

This may sound a bit big headed of me but in 1989 I returned to Reno, Nevada to attend the American Association of Law Libraries (AALL) summer annual convention being held in Reno, Nevada that year. I had been cataloging all of the computer files on WESTLAW while working at the U of MN Law Library for a national project to allow library users to see what was on WESTLAW. This was like creating a card catalog record

http://209.26.59.208:8080/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=12Q38625M3W18.4130&profile=hdq&ur i=link=3100017~!115193~!3100001~!3100002&aspect=su btab39&menu=search&ri=1&source=~!horizon&term=Vict ims+of+crimes&index=PSUBJ#focus (will work if you cut and paste)

for a computer file rather than for a book, record, video, etc. Someone else had cataloged the computer files on the other big legal research database--LEXIS-- at SUNY Buffalo.

Thought this WESTLAW opportunity as well as my former employer U of MN Law Library's Library Director M. Kathleen Price becoming Law Librarian of Congress around 1990 would allow me to push my own cause of helping crime victims.

Sort of an interest I had trouble submerging because of my connection with an infamous double murder which occurred around February 1976 in Reno, Nevada. Law enforcement in Northern Nevada had labelled this double murder one of the ten most notorious crimes in the 20th Century in Northern Nevada.

Boy, was I wrong.

Could not get a job in law librarianship after just trying to be honest about my having an interest in helping crime victims based on this personal connection to the events in Northern Nevada in 1976 and the subsequent history of the legal cases. Which ironically could be found on WESTLAW and LEXIS as Nevada Supreme Court cases. Woods v. State 101 Nev. 128, 696 P.2d 464 (1985).

The WESTLAW cataloging project died a quick death because of how quickly WESTLAW changes the parameters of its computer files and how many they add or subtract each year.

I kept on trying to convince librarians to get materials to help victims of crimes from outside the librarianship professions especially after receiving an August 1992 letter from the then Law Librarian of Congress, M. Kathleen Price, suggesting that I would need to get ALL law libraries on board if this were to be successful.