View Single Post

Old 07-03-2015, 04:12 PM

[QUOTE=Ozzello;1032937]I live here full time. When I eat out (several times a week), I tip at least 20%. More if I feel the waitress/waiter provided good service. They don't even make minimum wage before tips. After taxes, most make about 50 bucks a week on their paychecks.

I hear it is common during 'season' for a few of the folks that stay here only a month or 2 during the winter, to sit down with 5, 6 or more people for a dinner, and tip 5 or 10% (or less even), like they do in Canada (where they make a LOT more by the hour) , or in Europe.

A 'comped' tip on your bill would be 18%. I know it isn't because you don't have the money, that you aren't tipping a fair rate. I am going to figure it is because you didn't know, and now that you read this ... you know. In my opinion, tipping a waitress/waiter anything less than 18% is stealing from them.

GOOD POINT!! I grew up on Long Island and my father was from Brooklyn, NY....my father always said "IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO TIP, YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO EAT OUT"!!....Our family always tips 20% minimum unless its a buffet then it's 10%..