Thread: Gutters
View Single Post

Old 07-03-2015, 10:57 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Whoever you use, make sure they use enough brackets. It is difficult to compare sometimes because one company will say, "Our gutter price is only $1.00 per foot"......what they may not tell you is that they charge more for downspouts, etc.....

As a person who climbs on roofs in The Villages everyday, I see some gutter jobs where they only put a bracket every 5-6 feet or more..I've seen brackets even 6-7 feet apart. This is not enough. One should be able to place a ladder against a gutter without crushing it.

A good gutter installation should have the gutter thick enough that it does not bend when leaned against. I would insist on gutter brackets no more than 3 feet apart at the most.....preferably every 2 foot apart or so.

I know it can be a contentious issue, but I also like to see splash guards installed on the inside corner pieces when the valleys are large to prevent waterfalling during a hard rain. Some say that this can hurt the sheathing, but I have not yet seen evidence of that.

Make sure the gutter is large enough to carry the amount of water it needs to, especially on long runs.....also make sure you have enough downspouts and they are placed in the proper areas.

Frank