View Single Post

Old 07-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Veteran member
Default What weight for bowling balls?

I had bowling as a phys. ed. class in college and was in a league for a couple of years a long time ago. A buddy was visiting the other weekend and for laughs we decided to go bowling. While I enjoyed it and plan on taking up bowling once we move to TV (we bought a house but can retire for another 18 months or so), I found that my old ball had grown a LOT heavier since I last used it! I may have done OK with a 16-lb ball when I was in my 30s but now that I've hit 60 (even though I'm in pretty good shape), I'm forced to realize that I need to move to something lighter. How heavy a ball do most male bowlers at my age seem to prefer? My wife has a 14-lb ball that she hasn't used in years and is not as strong as she once was either. What kind of weight ball to women in their early 60s seem to prefer?

Also, how easy is it to get on a league in TV? Our only league experience was joining one that friends already belonged to. Can you just walk up to a bowling alley and ask if any team is looking for a pair of thoroughly mediocre (but bound to improve!) bowlers? And what generally are the seasons for most leagues?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers!