View Single Post

Old 07-14-2015, 11:55 AM

I can help with some info. Some quick background. I have participated on the Profesional Bowlers Assoc for 30 years until I just got old and hurt, but still try at a competitive level. I also own, as one of my businesses still in NY, a Bowling Retail outlet and Pro Services.

I bought a house here in 2013 and wanted to bowl leagues. I went to both Fiesta Bowl and Spanish Springs Lanes and contacted League Secretaries and talked to many League bowlers. It was quite easy to find open spots. Also, there are often League Sign up sheets. Check at the desk.

Leagues are offered year round in both centers. Mixed leagues, handicap leagues, men's, women's, and serious scratch competitive leagues. Very nice bowling centers with great staff.

As to ball weights, without seeing your physical size and general condition, it is a little difficult to be precise on what is your best weight ball to use. But here is some info.

Very few men use 16 lb. balls today. The balls are so much stronger today than years back and have weight blocks internally that can enhance how the ball rolls, hooks and performs.

Many of the seniors can still throw 15, but some have gone down to 14. Throw away your old equipment and get new. You will be amazed at the new technology in equipment and how they can help you score.

For your wife, if she was throwing 14, probably 13 would be fine for her. Years ago, the lower weight would deflect a little as they hit the pins. Today, they all roll so much stronger.

Stop in at the Pro Shops in the centers and talk to the Pro guys. They all have been out on the Pro Tour and two of them are National Title holders.

Hope this helps some.