View Single Post

Old 07-15-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deestatham View Post
We're getting ready to move from Maryland to TV and have a question for the more seasoned Villagers: Did you sell all your furniture or did you move/store it? We're thinking of selling most of what we have and having a decorator furnish a new home for us. Don't think our stuff here in Maryland will look good in TV. And storing it would cost a lot if we decided to just sell it on the other end. Just wondering what most of you did. For the first year, we are renting a furnished home to see if we like TV. Any wisdom you can share is greatiy appreciated. Looking to be in TV by September if all goes well with selling our house.
Would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you sell furniture that you have and not bring it here. I did, and deeply regret it. People here don't want to pay high prices for fine furniture and that furniture just won't look right in your home here, most likely. Then there is the issue of the cost of storing and moving it all. Now there is the issue of the movers denying all liability for damages that they caused to said furniture. One hint: if you do move it, take hundreds of pictures of all expensive pieces before you have a mover move it. If you unload into storage at TV, they will consider self-delivered and say that they cannot prove this damage happened since day of delivery and time of claim even if within timelimit. Take lots and lots of pics (with a friend and several cameras) on moving day, take pics of their moving men to rebut "self-delivery," and make sure (even if it is pitch black out when they finish) that you mark all damage on inventory sheet. If you need more time because you just wrote it down as you saw it and photographed it, then take it and make them stay overnight. Don't be bullied into signing inventory pages in the dark no matter how tired you are. Learn from my disaster! Also avoid Delaware Moving and Storage (Wheaton) because I consider them to be the worst movers EVER~! I had tremendous damage to my dining room set, my sofas, my desks, and many other items of fine furniture. Denied claim because of "self-storage," and inventory sheet signed in dark w flashlight didn't show the damage we noted.