View Single Post

Old 07-18-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Who makes up the rules for tip amounts? Why not give 50%?
I feel it should be on the amount of WORK they gave you, so if a couple has a $30 check but only gets 2 pasta dishes as they come and 1 refill each that's it, if the service was good 20% at most. If a couple has a $30 check, but has 2 very heavily modified orders such as 2 sandwiches with lots of condiments, modifications, etc. Also, 3 refills a piece. 25%-30% if the service was good.

Most I have ever tipped 34% or so, maybe a bit more, but that's it. 50% would be if the bill was small amount like if I eat by myself, get food service, I have tipped on a $14 something cent check $7 because I asked for lots of things and the service was excellent.

Normally though 50% is a bit steep on most bills amounts though and very unrealistic to think you'd get that normally unless you are dealing with people that are drinking heavily or something.

I only agree with you on certain levels of this. I feel the amount of price does no equal work. As I said in my example, hardly any work, server receives 20% for 2 pasta dishes and one refill a piece. I think that's a lot for hardly doing any work personally. $3 a person tip that would amount to.

On the other hand, if I order a lot of modifications, I am making my server do loads of work, so I should pay them much more, but I wouldn't go to 50% unless it's a small bill amount. Who says the thing I am ordering is worth that really? For example, let's say a steak would have lots of modifications(just pretend), and the steak is $30 just the steak, not counting side dishes. Do you think that makes any sense to tip SOLELY on the price? NO, I wouldn't tip 50% on that. The price of the item is really irrelevant to the service. It's not my server's fault the price of the steak is so high. She or he didn't do anything DIFFERENTLY just because it's a higher price.

It all depends on the situation. Normally I nor most people would tip 50% in most cases. That is the truth. As I said, if their bill is under $20 or if they have been drinking alcohol, maybe then.