View Single Post

Old 07-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Unless you were planning on entirely stiffing him on a tip, he essentially pre-collected the first 31 cents if his tip when he brought back the change. There are a lot of things that I have worried about in my life but 31 cents was never one of them. I shanked a sand wedge the other day - I worry that I might do it again ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
WOW, you are condoning THEFT, WOW! So you don't get that what he did was ILLEGAL? He should have gone in handcuffs to JAIL. THEFT IS THEFT.

Can I get something to-go from you as the bartender(let's say you are taking my to-go order in person) and the check amount is $12.30, I give you only $12? Would you still accept it knowing *YOU'D* have to come up with the 30 cents out of YOUR OWN POCKET or would you REFUSE to serve me that item telling me I'd have to have the right amount of change?

If so, what if EVERYONE did that, would you be OK with giving away 30 cents to every customer that came in?

At the time, we had never experienced this since we paid with credit cards ALWAYS or gift cards, so everything was electronic, no actual money was involved, so we never thought about doing that.

Also, why would I do that? The server's job is to work as HARD as they can for their tip to *EARN* it, so it's their job to get your change for you, NOT for you to make their job easier. If I am paying you, I expect you to do the 100% FULL ENTIRE JOB, NOT to SHORT-CUT the job to do it half-fast.

After having that stealing done to us, whenever we rarely paid with cash again, even if we wanted to leave everything, we made sure we got it all back.

Every customer should TEST the server for their HONESTY by getting the change. I will do this the rest of my life to make sure that who I am paying actually is a GOOD person that isn't a thief.

That's ENTIRELY the point, it's being ***********ENTITLED************************ rather than ***************EARNING THEIR TIP***************! IT'S LAZY AND IT'S STEALING.

Also, why not bother to put $6 on the table rather than shorting us?

You can still do the same by adding an extra dollar bill. There's not much extra work to include an extra dollar. It's actually only shorting the waiter 69 cents of his own money since 31 cents was our money.

But WHY act like you get to tip yourself before you even get a chance for the CUSTOMER to actually TIP YOU?

The CUSTOMER TIPS, NOT THE SERVER and it WASN'T "HIS" money at that point.

Why should he have thought he'd get a tip at all? He should be doing his job, then wait and see what the *CUSTOMER* actually leaves the table for you.

His mind should be like a cashier, giving change, that's it. It shouldn't be on "What will the customer leave me" at that point.

NO, it's A LOT presumptuous and it IS ILLEGAL. I can't short the restaurant, WHY can you short me?

NO it doesn't. It would have made sense more to put $6 of change on our table if he wanted a bigger tip honestly. Most people don't want the coins, so by ALWAYS giving more than owed, not only will you see the server is caring and not selfish, but it's almost like they are giving you a gift, so just like when servers have purposely not charged us for things we gave more in the tip, it works the same way.

So he would have forfeited his 69 cents, gained a dollar or two more in the tip. This is more pragmatic. It makes less sense to short the customer to **** them off and end up getting less or nothing or getting written up or fired or arrested for stealing.

So ALWAYS give more than the change. It works a lot better than shorting the customer.

That's not what the waiter did though. That's my point. Rounding up, not down so the customer isn't shorted.

In all honestly, a lot of them are LAZY today. They don't want to write down your order at times(then get it wrong), they don't make sure the prices are correct on your check, they don't check the food in the kitchen before they leave the kitchen with the wrong items or forget your side dish or condiments, etc.

Most are lazy.

Some slack for THEFT. NO. You act like servers are holier than thou like their money is above ours in this life. NO, I won't cut slack for selfish, lazy, and uncaring human beings. How dare you say I should cut someone slack for stealing. I bet you wouldn't want someone to take any of your tips away from you if you were still a bartender.

I only cut slack to people that try to make-up for their mistakes if it is even one. This was INTENTIONAL. You act like the waiter didn't intentionally steal. I mean if this had been an accident like they forgot something that's one thing, this was 100% PURE INTENTIONAL to steal.

I only give slack to people that *TRY* their best, show they care, etc.

For example, after asking for our 31 cents back, he could have fix it right away since it was OUR TURN BEFORE that person's side salad since HE messed up, NOT US and could have given us 50 cents rather than exactly 31 cents to make-up for this. He was TOO SELFISH to do that though. What a JERK he was. I mean really.

He didn't want to have any tip. If he would have, he would have given us 2 quarters(shorted himself only 19 cents and he couldn't do that the SELFISH JERK).

So NO, there's other ways he could have tried to show us that he didn't want to steal and act so entitled.

After I had asked for our coins back, he should have given us over the amount to show how horrible that was to do that to us to STEAL.

HOW can you say give people slack that INTENTIONAL did something as so horrible as to STEAL from you? Maybe you should go with Winona Ryder, because you are all into thinking it's OK to steal kind of thing. I don't care if it's just a penny, theft is theft.

As I said before, he could have forfeited 19 cents of his own money and was TOO SELFISH to try to make-up for it, so I made DARN SURE he got NOTHING at all and A REPORT to the manager.

What is wrong with this world of you entitled service industry workers? I don't understand how you can say I should give someone slack that did a CRIME? This wasn't a mistake like he INTENTIONALLY didn't give us back the change. I don't care what his way of thinking was, it wasn't *HIS* money to TIP with. TIPPING is a thing a CUSTOMER does, NOT the WORKER. A tip is also *EARNED* by doing the WORK of getting change. He was just a SELFISH JERK! I won't give money to anyone that steals. I don't care if it was a penny owed, if they do that, they deserve to go to jail for it just like EVERYONE ELSE that steals in this world. Stealing is wrong, morally and legally.