View Single Post

Old 08-07-2015, 08:33 AM
Veteran member
Default Advice needed on renting golf car

When my wife and I finally retire and move to the house we've bought in The Villages, we're probably going to get a golf car (she' not so sure, coming from a hospital trauma background, she's not hot on a vehicle with no airbags and other safety gear). We're pretty ignorant on them and don't want to leap into buying one. We figured we'd rent for a month or two to see if we like them and to take our time learning the positives and negatives of them.

It seems like I've read somewhere in TOTV that rental golf cars are slowww.... I'm not looking to exceed the golf car speed limit (which is what? 22 mph?), but I don't want to cause traffic jams everywhere I go. Is that perception correct or is it just that rental cars have governors to limit them to the legal speed limit and those passing are just ignoring the speed limit?

Can you rent a golf car with seat belts? My wife probably won't get into one without seat belts (she's dealt with too many patients with traumatic brain injuries that could have been avoided).

Are there any particular golf car rental places that people recommend? We've seen one at Lake Sumter but I'm sure there are others.

Are all rental golf cars electric? Or are they all gas? Or a mixture. We'd probably like to try each. I know this is somewhat of a religious topic so I won't ask for advice here on which is better.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!