View Single Post

Old 08-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Sage
Default If you want to sell your home, you have to be nice.

Recently, I had listed my house for sale and it has since sold..in five weeks. However, I continue to get calls and there was a person in particular who I thought I would help out as he doesn't live in TV. I knew about a house that was a possibility because it was on the FSBO site the same time as I listed and it has since reduced the price. I called to the owner and explained I was calling for a friend who is not in TV. I was told, "we don't do friends of friends. You can go down the block and there are other houses you can look at." I was quite taken aback. I explained that I had recently sold my house and was trying to help someone who had been interested. I said that it appeared in the photos there was maybe a road behind the golf course because the view is what is important to the potential buyer. He said in a most irritated voice, "If there is a road, this isn't the house for you." Oddly enough, I had suggested this house to someone else before.
Recently there was a thread about the pros and cons of FSBO versus a realtor. I am a huge fan of selling without a realtor. That said, you have to be cordial to people because you never know who will be the buyer or which person will speak to which person about your house. My house did sell through a recommendation on TOTV from one person to another who was not on TOTV so I am very pleased with this site as a place to advertise your FSBO. But if you don't have the temperament to go through lots of disappointments or people who may not be as thrilled about your particular home after seeing it, you really need to get a realtor who will always be charming and inviting. That's my 2 cents on the subject.