View Single Post

Old 09-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
In my case it's looking to be something called "root rot." The swale area at the lowest point between houses that is brown and sparse is actually the result of overwatering. It's not so much how many minutes it gets watered at once, but that it never dries out properly. The grass is basically drowning.

Let's say I water on Sunday and Thursday and my neighbor waters on Tuesday and Saturday. Then it rains once or twice during the week. That's 5-6 times in a week that that area gets wet. Then doesn't dry out properly. Especially in that swale area the water doesn't drain away well and the soil doesn't absorb well either. The grass that looks like it needs water is actually getting too much watering. Again, it's not how many minutes at once so much, but the fact that it never gets to dry out properly.

For me, it's a work in progress.
Check with the master gardeners . I don't think you have to really water that much if not at all with the rain we get everyday during this rainy season. I have turned off my sprinkler and my grass is green.