Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 10-21-2015, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I am hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.....

I am so aggravated at having brand new black pants turn a noncommittal shade of charcoal gray after just two or three washings.

The pants are cotton, mostly capris. Some of them from L. L. Bean and Lands End.

I wash them in cold water. I turn them inside-out. I use Woolite. Sometimes I use Cheer. Both of those promise to guard my colors. But that is not happening.

I am spending my life-savings replacing capris because the ones in my closet look like 50 shades of charcoal.

Any laundry tips that can put me back in black?
I have heard a couple of things down through the years. I don't have any proof. One was to soak the items in vinegar and water before the first wash to "set" the color. The second thing I heard was that the dryer does as much to fade the color as the washer.

I just dyed three black shirts that are old, I love, and can't replace. It was a pain in the neck as we don't have a stainless sink and I was afraid of staining the sink. I used the plastic laundry sink but was very careful. It turned out well, but I probably won't do that again.