View Single Post

Old 10-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

How is being ticketed for going over 20 MPH, regardless of whether it is caused by moving downhill or the wind, unfair? It is your responsibility to control the speed of your cart regardless of the conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchilds@massmed.org View Post
This 20 mph thing is a can of worms, because it's based on the assumption that the cart is on level ground on a windless day. Our carts have high wind resistance, and tests I've done using an accurate speedometer have shown that my (gas) cart can go 2-3 mph faster if there's a vigorous tailwind, and conversely can be that much slower if going into a strong wind. If going down a steep hill (ry Stillwater Trail where it starts at the top of the hill on Odell Circle), i've seen 25 mph! Going uphill can knock 2-3 mph off your speed. So, depending upon which of these circumstances are in place at the time a cop zaps you with his radar gun (e.g. going downhill with a tailwind), a speeding citation may well be an unfair event. I keep an eye on wind and grade, and if I were ticketed unfairly I would be prepared to fight it in court - a $500 fine is not a trifling penalty!