View Single Post

Old 03-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Our first trip to The Villages

Even if I golfed, I would not spend a lot of my limited stay playing golf.* There is too much else to become familiar with.* After looking around at all the popular fun stuff, some time in the town centers, some time in the club houses and the local community centers, I would do the following for the reasons indicated...

* Spend a few hours driving around the surrounding communities and countryside.* While you will spend the majority of your time INSIDE The Villages, you will want to venture out for the occasional necessity or Sunday drive.* Its nice to know "what's out there."* For example, I enjoy photography and trains.* I will want to venture out to Wildwood where there are lots of photo ops for shooting train scenes.

* Spend a couple of multi-hour sessions on your own (after a couple of sessions with a Villages realtor) to explore the new neighborhoods under construction.* A house that is half complete is not on the market yet (not "released") but will be completed within the next 30 to 60 days - and released.* Focus on the locations, views, orientation, models, features, etc. you would be most interested in.* Jot down the addresses and give them to your salesman.* Ask to let you know when they are released and what the price will be.* This will be useful info IF you are serious about locating here, and IF you prefer a new home.* This was our MO.

* We weren't thrilled with the rental golf carts. They are gas fueled (they don't rent electrics). They are noisy and have a strong exhaust smell. We turned ours back in after the first 15 minutes.

* Have joy along the way.* This is the whole purpose of our entire journey.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley