View Single Post

Old 11-08-2015, 09:13 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Dave,
They say that an LED light with a K rating of less than 3000 K will attract less bugs....I have not found that to be overwhelmingly accurate. The money I save using the LED lights help pay for the brooms and the water we must use to pressure them off....

I guess the way I see it is that the blind mosquitoes, lovebugs and those little caterpillar bugs are the price we pay for never having to shovel snow or scrape a windshield again...

Florida is a unique place. We never had "Mud Daubers", love bugs, etc before (up north). In my inspections I always find bug nests, wasps, mud daubers, etc in the outside receptacle boxes, behind the screens of the microwave vent, etc. Lately I have been finding a lot of paper wasp nests in these places...folks never check or clean these places.....

Blind mosquitoes only live as an adult for 2-4 days because they have no mouths. They are more attracted to lighter colored homes. They swarm at night, so keeping outdoor lights off or the use of the "bug lights" may help. I do not know this, but I am guessing they are not really blind, as they are attracted to light, but who knows...i'm not a bug guy. I read an article that stated one season many years ago folks were using snow shovels to shovel the dead blind mosquitoes off sidewalks, etc because they were up to 3 feet thick. The good news is that they do not bite and the season for them ends in November.