Thread: Title Insurance
View Single Post

Old 04-01-2008, 12:07 PM
duffer4384
Default Re: Title Insurance

Hello folks, I would like to expand a little bit on the need for title insurance in Ohio. We recently sold our home here in Ohio in order to buy in TV. The couple that purchased our home paid cash and were represented by a realtor. We sold the house ouselves (no Realtor) and were represented by our lawyer. The closing took place in the offices of a local title company. At closing the title agent stated for all to hear that he was obligated to offer title insurance, but since there was no mortgage , it wouldn't be required. Apparently if there was a mortgage, banks require title insurance to protect their interest. He also stated that even though he is obligated to offer title insurance, that no one takes it if they don't have to. This couple didn't take it. Therein lies the cause of our delima. If we were mortgaging our new home, we wouldn't have had an option, but since we were able to make a cash deal, this decision fell upon us to make. I called The Villages closing department for clarification on this and was told that about 80% of the buyers in The Villages get the title insurance. My delema was why didn't the other 20% take it? I have been reading this forum for awhile and felt it would be a good source for an unbiased opinion, so I broached the subject here and got some very good replies that helped me and maybe that will help someone else deal with this. Thanks to all :bigthumbsup: