View Single Post

Old 04-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default Re: Moving containers

I also researched every method of moving and found U Haul they least expensive. TIP. Keep checking their web site as the price varies based on demand. Keep reserving and canceling until you get the lowest price. I used a 17 foot van and like captain found it very easy to load and drive. The cost from Virginia for the rental only was $571, 60 pads for $50 and gas was $270, for a total of $891. Labor total was $350. I saw the truck as high as $900 and as low as the price I paid. Also just used an Enterprize car from LSL to airport and flew back on Jet Blue.

Used local labor on Virginia end and Aurthur Martin on TV end. Both were excellent. That truck was packed so tight that I was fitting things up inside as I was closing the door. Still have a small load of stuff I will bring down in my pickup. Overall a very easy and low cost way to move things to TV.

The only advantage I saw to the PODS was time to load and if you needed storage on one end or both. I just stored every thing in my garage for a few weeks before the move and then when I was ready, got the truck, the help, and did it.

Another thing we did different. We are not yet ready to move there full time so although we had some of the extra furniture we needed, not most of it. So we ended up shopping craigslist for everything. We furnished our entire house with really nice high quality things with new mattresses from us-mattress (40% of total) for under $5000. Living room, dining room, two bedroom sets, rugs, entertainment centers for LR & MB and some other things. Bought it all in a month and placed it in the garage ready to load. Still need some decorative stuff, but will get that over time. Overall a very easy and low cost experience.