View Single Post

Old 01-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Default I cut the cord...with Cable

I too got "Fed Up" with the raising Cable Bills and I too "tried to get the Villages audio video guy to come out to install a TV antenna in the attic. He came out and told me that he could not do my attic installation due to running wires or something to that affect and would not install outside antenna. I found a $40 antenna....had it installed and now pick up 40+ channels and are "crystal" clear. Talk to the guy at "Marion Flea Mkt".... after getting one from him I found the "exact" antenna for $40. Works perfect !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarcy View Post
My new house built in the Village of Osceola Hills since July 1 2015 is constructed with a radiant barrier lining the roof due to new energy efficiency codes. Last Saturday I had the audio visual (A/V) expert come to install an over the air (OTA) TV antenna in my attic. I wanted to "cut the cord" for cable TV. We discovered my attic is lined with a radiant barrier which renders signal reception impossible. I recall noticing, as I watched my house being built, that the underside of whatever the builder used for my roof was silver in color and had wording "radiant barrier" written on it. The A/V tech said my roof is now like having a tin foil hat covering my house. The only way I can get OTA reception is with an outside mounted antenna. My house has a perfect unobstructed southern exposure and is even slightly elevated. The A/V guy said if it were not for my new foil lined roof, my house would be the ideal candidate for OTA reception.

So, today I had to renew my subscription to Brighthouse Network. I enjoyed excellent service from Brighthouse for 3 years at my former house in The Village of Charlotte. But, alas, my hopes of living off the grid for television cannot be realized.