View Single Post

Old 01-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Gold member
Default He could have been dead.

Today at 12:30 I was driving toward Buena Vista on Hendry when I almost hit a golf cart near the Collier Pool/Mail station.

The driver would have been dead. Here's what happened:

1. He was wearing 2 ear buds
2. He made a left turn from the Golf Cart lane
3. He did not look to his left AT ALL!
4. He did not signal

I was directly beside him driving my Prius in the vehicle lane when he basically turned left into me as he turned left from the golf cart lane in to the Mail Center/Pool. Luckily I was able to slam on my brakes in time and missed him by bare inches.

I laid on my horn after the near miss, that is when he to glance at me, not knowing what had just happened.

I thought for sure I was going to hit him. I really don't know how I didn't! It was that close! I am still shaking.

I turned into the other entrance to the Pool/Mail station and stopped at his cart and told him what had happened. He had no idea how close he was to having this day be his last. He was very casual and nonchalant as I reminded him:

Please signal before a turn,
Please enter the traffic lane before turning left
Please look over your shoulder before initiating a turn
Please do not wear both ear buds.

He said "I'm not going to get into an argument with you." I replied, "I am not here to argue with you, just to ask you to be cautious and to let you know that I could have killed you."

He had his name on a club name badge he was wearing, which I will not name here.

Golf Carts are fun, they are everywhere, I love mine and use it every chance I get. But Golf Cart drivers need to be smart and defensive. Obey the rules of the road. Don't forget where you are.

I think his decision to turn into the mail station was a spur of the moment decision. At least I hope it was. But this man had no idea that he could have died today. He was just oblivious!

Be safe and drive defensively out there!!