View Single Post

Old 02-15-2016, 07:12 PM
Veteran member

I'm glad several have found the information in the video helpful and comforting, as I did. I learned, after the fact, that the changes in patterns of behavior (eating, sleeping, social withdrawal) that I witnessed in the months prior to my parents' death were absolutely normal. I was, at first, quite confused by my father's "terminal delirium/agitation" and wish I had seen the video earlier, for I would have understood what was occurring sooner and not become upset.

Part of successfully advocating for your loved ones' final wishes is becoming informed. Once one understands the normal end of life "labor", the better you can interact with Hospice and medical care providers for appropriate levels of comfort meds (ex. morphine, methadone, Ativan, Resperdol, etc...) The last few hours/days of the normal dying process can be rough on the surviving loved ones to watch/experience, but if you're informed, it will be much more bearable.

Very best wishes to all...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, bourbon in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!" -- Hunter S. Thompson