View Single Post

Old 03-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Default Beware!!! This SUV will kill someone soon...

This SUV tried to run over one of our cyclist the other day. Going north on Buena Vista by the Savannah center round about, our group after stopping to let other cars clear, started north again. That is when this SUV came up from behind us in the left lane and crossed in front of our lane to turn right on El Camino Real just missing the lead rider by inches, and mean inches. Had he not turned his from wheel to the right just a little, he would have been hit. No telling what injuries might have occurred if the contact had happened. Fortunately, the last cyclist had a camera going and we were able to get the license number. We called the Sumter County police, and officer Wills, to report the incident. We were not looking to ticket the driver, but to let him/her know that crossing two lanes at a high rate of speed is jeopardizing the safety, and maybe the life of these cyclist. The officer refused to help even after giving him the license number. I wonder if the same officer would have shown any interest if this SUV had collided with the bicycle? I guess someone has to be injured before this officer would help with the situation. If you know this person, please notify them that what they did was totally wrong, and could have cost someone their life just to make the turn 5 seconds earlier. They never stopped, or even acknowledged any wrong doing. Even after giving the Sumter County officer the license number he refused to do anything telling me that Florida license plates has 6 numbers/letters not 5. I know that vanity plates in Florida can have less than 6. I am not sure why he chose not to pursue this problem, or at least make a call telling them they are now being watched and should be more considerate of cyclist. Here is a picture of the SUV. Please let me know if you know this person. License # SJE IT
Thanks for caring,
still-sjeit-jpg