Thread: Open Play Rules
View Single Post

Old 03-19-2016, 02:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstag View Post
According to the written rules on page 3 of the Recreation News, Open Play is for those of you who would prefer to play on your own. However, according to the recreation department via a couple of lengthy phone calls, if you are playing during OPEN PLAY and someone else wants to play with you, you MUST let them play in the next game regardless of their level of play. I personally believe this contradicts the written description of open play. My point is this: My friends and I organized a water volleyball game to play on our own days in advance. We were the only ones in the pool when a couple walked in and wanted to insert themselves into our group which was already full. We indicated this was open play time and we here to play on our own. They insisted that they had taken a water volleyball class and went on and on about how we were required to let them play. This would mean that some of us would have to sit out. Per our interpretation of the written description of open play we thought they were wrong and continued our play. I personally can’t imagine trying to force myself on someone enjoying themselves in a private game, but they were so intent on interrupting what was obviously friends having a good time that they went crying to the facilities manager who sent her people out and told us we had to let them play. We only had 20 minutes left anyway so we decided to leave which left the courts completely empty and no one got to enjoy the facilities. Based on the recreation department's verbal rules, if two couples are the only people playing pickleball, or you and your wife are playing shuffleboard or whatever sport, and a person walks up and says I would like to play in the next game, one of you is required to sit out and let this person play regardless of their level of play. I am not really concerned about it happening again because I believe very few people would insist on forcing themselves on a few friends having a good time. In all the years my friends and I have been using open play time for various activities this was a first. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
I can understand why you're upset, but unfortunately it looks like the rec department has set up the rules that way. I cannot imagine inserting myself in a private group that way, but some people have no qualms, and apparently they are within their rights although I personally find it to be discourteous, rule or no rule. I guess the bottom line is, these are not private pools, they are community pools, and we have to play by community rules.