Thread: Open Play Rules
View Single Post

Old 03-19-2016, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
There will always be varying skill levels in all of the athletic venues within The Villages that have hours posted for open play.I have been here for 10 years and have played open Pickleball for 9 1/2 years. After the basic skills and rules were absorbed, I searched out courts that would be compatible with my level. As my skills increased over the years I continued to look for courts that would be skill compatible. My point is that I believe it is the responsibility of the person or persons who wants to insert themselves into an open play activity, to do a little research and find a venue that fits their skill level. With that said there will always be some that just show up and ask to play in a an activity beyond their skill level. They should realize this inequity reasonably soon and hopefully will move on to a compatible location elsewhere, which in TV they are numerous. If they don't there is nothing wrong with politltely suggesting there are other locations for their level of play. Beyond this the situation can deteriorate, which I have experienced, where the group just refuses to play with that person. At this point majority rules and the person(s) usually get the hint and move on. Seems in most cases Villages can politely resolve these situations, but with 110,000 + there will always be some that just don't care to.
Unless play time is designated by the rec dept (and in the rec magazine) as a particular level of play (beginner, adv beg, intermediate, advanced), open play means anyone can play at any time. For instance, the entire day at Churchill Rec Center is non-level-designated open play. Traditionally the better players come early in the morning, but anyone can come to play there regardless of the level or time. The rules are if there is someone waiting to play, you must rotate in and out.