View Single Post

Old 05-03-2016, 06:48 AM
Sage

I have an SSD in my laptop and it speeds up rebooting but I hardly ever reboot - maybe every other month.

I have no idea how many people drop their laptops from their laps. I suspect very few - seems like a large number of people use tablets on their laps.

For the vast majority of users around here, the bare minimums are probably more than adequate. You can buy a pretty nice laptop from Dell with an SSD for $550. You can also get a Intel Celeron processor based system with harddrive for $250 that will probably satisfy most people's needs. You can get a 13"Apple MacBook Air (which only have SSDs) for $759 - a much better choice, in my opinion. It costs a few more bucks but well worth it in terms of less hassles for the average user. All of those system would have 4 GBytes of memory.

I have 4 GBytes on my Windows laptop for work and it handles everything I throw at it without issue, and I do stream Netflix. Memory is one of the most misunderstood parts of a computer. Accept for providing additional cache for I/O, having more memory than you need provides little or no value. It is typical for people to suggest more memory than is needed.

I rarely hear of anyone having issues with their internet and most of my friends know I write software for a computer manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
Biker1 - Booting your computer is important for everyone. SSD is not just speed, it is stability. How many folks in TV do you suppose drop their laptop off of their lap? I have shot systems off of my car seat - both with HDD and SSD...SSD, I keep working. HDD I go to recover my data more often than not.

In your scenario, why not just use bare minimums everywhere? That said, hang out at BestBuy or some of the other computer stores and see what they are "selling"...more than often the total is well into $1200+ for a Windows based systems (selling on "Smoke and Fears"). The memory also helps for the MANY who use their systems for NetFlix and VideoPhone (from there ISP's here are a nightmare).

As you know, we are only as strong as our weakest link. Most often, the weakest link is the consumer.

Last edited by biker1; 05-03-2016 at 06:58 AM.